Last month, a Nagaland-based English daily published an ultimatum of the group asking Meities to leave the hill districts of Manipur by July 10. A similar statement by the Naga Crusaders was circulated by unknown persons in Imphal and Ukhrul district on July 6, triggering a sense of fear among a large number of Meiteis living in Naga-dominated areas.
On Tuesday morning, police commandos carried out a sudden combing operation at Tangkhul-Naga dominated Nagaram near Khuman Lampak sports complex here and picked up 33 persons for questioning. SP (Imphal West) L Kailun, however, said, "Tuesday's operation was a routine one. Nevertheless, police are maintaining sharp vigil at the state capital in view of the communal campaign launched by Naga Crusaders." Kailun also holds the additional post of deputy inspector general of police.
The Naga People's Organization (NPO), while terming the Naga Crusaders' campaign as baseless and irrelevant, has appealed to people to ignore such propaganda.
The United Committee Manipur (UCM), which is campaigning for safeguarding Manipur's territorial integrity and promoting peace and harmony, has already submitted a memorandum to chief minister Okram Ibobi Singh, asking him to take all possible steps to maintain peace and harmony in the state. It said the quit noticeserved on Meities by Naga Crusaders seemed to be an attempt to create a rift among communities living together happily for ages. tnn
Highlighting that the UCM stands for peaceful co-existence of indigenous people in Manipur, it asserted that it will not remain a silent spectator against any threat to the people.